How to start working in Toyama
STEP1: Checking Visa Status Requirements
Even though the conditions for a Japanese work visa are not as strict as other similarly developed nations, you should always check that you meet the minimum conditions before looking for a job. General guidelines are as below:
- A job scope matching your academic qualifications
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree｠OR
- 3 to 10 years of experience related to the job scope
- For the types of visa, please check the visa webpage of the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs (Japanese/English)
※ The more commonly attained Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Relations Visa requires the applicant to fulfill the criteria outlined above.
※ In general the recruitment agency and your company would help you in applying for your visa so please ask them questions if you have any.
STEP2: Looking for a Job
Join a recruitment firm/ talent bank and use these to try and find the businesses that you wish to work for.
STEP3: From Application to Offer
You must prepare a resume. The process will differ according to the business but in Japan there is often an online test before interviews.
STEP4: Obtaining a Visa
Have you received a job offer? Congratulations! Consult with your company and start preparing the necessary documents for the visa application.
In order to obtain a work visa to Japan from overseas, you need to apply to the Japanese Immigration Bureau or your nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate. Generally the documents below are required:
- Application Form
- Documents verifying your academic background or work history (university graduation certificate, latest resume, etc.)
- Portrait photo
- Legal documents such as the withholding tax report etc. of the company employing you in Japan
- The Company’s Registry Certificate (Tokibo Tohon)
- Description of the company’s activities
※ Required documents may vary depending on the company employing you and your academic and employment history.
※ The documents and procedures for applicants already living in Japan and requiring a visa status change, will differ.
STEP5: Working in Toyama
You have consulted with your company and your accommodations, and the start date have been decided.
Your life in Okinawa is about to start!